Monday, October 28, 2013

AI & Robotics

I personally think that robots can not do EVERYTHING a human can. If one were to have a conversation with a robot, it would feel as if something is just...missing. However, science is getting closer to making robots have human qualities. In the research "The Huggable: A Therapeutic Robotic Companion for Relational, Affective Touch," it talks about how robots can now give that feel that an animal can. That feeling of comfort and companionship. 

The thought of driver less cars also makes me a little uncomfortable. I do agree that there are many, many drivers who are out there who shouldn't have a licence because they are often distracting themselves by either texting, eating, etc while driving, ultimately putting everyone around them in immediate danger. In the article, Driver less Cars Get California License, it talks about cars with CPUs have already been tested, and given approval in California. This "eaks" me a little bit because it may seem a little safer, but what if someone who doesn't have a "smart car" blows the red light when the computer is telling your car to go. With computers, it may not consider reaction a human may have. Could it reduce accidents? Maybe, and I honestly hope it does.

 I think humans are most likely to make errors. That's what makes us human, the errors we make. Technology can reduce these errors significantly, and has as it changes. 

3 comments:

  1. Your response to smart cars is a really valid point. I don't think a computer operated car will have the same response time as a human to such situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with driver less cars making things uncomfortable. If something malfunctions than what's supposed to happen while a vehicle is in motion? There's still so many development issues that need to be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if it is popular, I don't think so that I can trust a machine as a driver! :)

    ReplyDelete